.

.

Friday, April 24, 2015

Cabinets of Curiosity


Did you know that most people will peek into your bathroom medicine cabinet? Apparently, in a survey by someone, more than 75% of people have opened up someone else's cabinet just to see what is in there.

This has never occurred to me, until I was recently talking to someone and she started complaining about the messy state of a friend's bathroom cabinet. As I listened to her, I was taken aback by what she had discovered in what seemed like just a few minutes. When she paused to take a breath, I asked her why she had opened it in the first place, and she replied, "I always look in them, don't you?"

No, I don't. Because really, I don't want to know what's in there, and, silly me, I always assumed it was private (it took me years before I would even look for a spare toilet roll in my best friend's home). But, I have to admit, that shortly after our talk I did go through all of my cabinets and drawers; unbeknownst to her, she had single-handedly shattered my naive view of snooping, and I will probably never invite her over for a cup of tea on a Sunday afternoon.

People are curious, and whether it is a casual party, or a formal Open House, you should be prepared for unwelcome eyes. I could suggest a trip wire, or a small alarm attached to your medicine cabinet, but that might be a little extreme (and embarrassing for everyone concerned - but funny. A bit like that additive that is supposed to turn blue when you go to the toilet in someone's pool. We're not sure if it really exists, but who wants to take the chance?)

Anyway, it's impossible to hide everything, but a few containers, and a little bit of organization, will probably make you feel better and distract the people who can't resist; wouldn't you rather have them marvel at your neatness than share all of your ailments over the next cup of morning coffee?
So, if you want to divert the curious, here are some quick ways to tidy up your medicine cabinet, and keep the gossip at bay...

  • Consider using your medicine cabinet only for things that you need every day.  
  • Adjust the shelf heights (if possible) for more space and flexibility.
  • Clean it out. Toss any duplicates or expired items, and take out things that are too big, too personal, or rarely used. 
  • Store prescription bottles in a closed container that can be easily lifted in and out.
  • Put generic items in small containers, drinking glasses, tea-cups, decorative tins or jars. This keeps everything neat, more visible, and will save you so much time and space. If you are worried about things breaking, buy acrylic containers. 
  • Separate items according to whom they belong to. 
  • Keep similar things together (e.g. toothpaste, toothbrush and floss).
  • If you want, you could even line the shelves with decorative paper. 
  • Add a picture, decal, chalkboard, or a funny cartoon to the inside of the door. 


Lovely photograph of real cabinet of curiosities is from Homelife Insideout.

2 comments:

Bernadette Flaim said...

Wendy -- suffice it to say that there will always be "peekers", so perhaps our cupboards should aspire to that which Martha Stewart would be proud! So much fun -- thanks so much for sharing . . .

Wendy Wrzos said...

Bernadette, thank you so much for reading - I am so glad that you enjoyed it!
(I am a big Martha Stewart fan, so I totally agree with you :-)

Enjoy your weekend,
- Wendy