.

.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Selling your home = Pie vs Cake

Pie is a happy word. Isn't it funny; I actually prefer to eat cake, but the word pie makes me happier to say than the word cake.

I find that homes are the same way. A nook sounds far more welcoming than a small place to sit, and while we often laugh at creative descriptions, they do have the uncanny ability to paint us a picture to go with the story. And, if we can create a feeling, an emotional connection to something, we tend to like it more.

Homes are about creating emotional connections with the use of physical objects, but if the objects mean nothing, or were placed without care, then the connection is never made, and it all starts to feel quite hollow.

You see, it's a bit of smoke and mirrors, but if you're trying to sell your home, then you often need decorative words, even if they just live inside your own head. It makes the process so much easier, and while you're not out to fool anybody, it does make your home sound far more appealing.

No-one wants to move into a home that is described as small, dirty and near a busy railroad, but it could also be a cozy, well-loved family home that is close to public transportation.

The idea is to get their attention, invite them in, and then they can decide for themselves whether they want the pie or the cake.

2 comments:

Kimberly Merritt said...

Funny... I had a dream my husband was eating pie last night. I wonder what it means???

Of course, you're spot on, Wendy. Maybe should start writing copy for realtors. (Not a bad idea, actually.)

I have so much to catch up on with reading. Is it me or do you have to do one or the other--read or write? I can read snippets, but if I write a lot, the I'm re-reading what I wrote.

Sorry, it's early and time for some pie. I mean cake!

Wendy Wrzos said...

Thank you, Kim! :-) I actually wondered about contact Realtor's about that... was chatting with someone recently (which prompted my blog post)and when they showed me their listing on-line I could barely understand it.

I am just like you, I can't read and write at the same time, and I get so fearful of "copying" that I tend to not catch up on blogs while I am writing either. Funny, eh?

Enjoy the rest of your week!